Prev: Re: [GZG] ground combat campaigns Next: Re: [GZG] ground combat campaigns

Re: [GZG] ground combat campaigns

From: Richard Kirke <richardkirke@h...>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 08:24:57 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] ground combat campaigns

Hello one and all,

I came across a very useful campaign system in wargaming magazine a
while ago. Set in a fictional modern era Balkan state, the political
arrangements allowed for a number of different forces to coexist and
fight. The forces were (IIRC); UN sponsored peacekeepers, local rebels,
local government forces and foreign special forces. The suggested
campaign system (which I have mostly adapted for a backwater moon for
SGII) was that each player in the campaign picked a force type and would
play each other on a round robin or 'whoever turns up plays' system. The
system then would randomly generate a scenario (ambush, infiltration,
find the black box, rescue the downed pilot etc) and forces and victory
conditions to match (allowing a rebel force a decent chance to pick up
points against a special forces opponent). Victory points are then
recorded on a league table.

The assumption of the system was that there wasn't much that each of the
forces could do to change the overall political situation and so nobody
is seeking to change things, just try and achieve a string of successful
missions to please their political masters. Without regular opponents I
have used this as pretty decent one off scenario generator, but I think
that it would bypass a number of the main issues with campaign systems.
Equally of course, it takes away a bunch of the great things about
campaigns if you like logistical considerations, resource gathering etc.
I'm not really sure how I feel about these, particularly when
considering their relevance to SGII.

If this is of interest, I'd be happy to upload the adapted document
(very much a work in progress), though I don't know where or how...

Richard
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 23:09:45 -0800
From: john_tailby@xtra.co.nz
To: gzg-l@mail.csua.berkeley.edu

So what sort of campaigns do people play with their SG or dirtside
forces? Who has run campaigns similar to the Hammer Slammers or
mechwarrior style regiment/ battlation level campaigns?

Use Hotmail to send and receive mail from your different email accounts
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/186394592/direct/01/

Prev: Re: [GZG] ground combat campaigns Next: Re: [GZG] ground combat campaigns