Prev: Re: [GZG] Real Life catches up to, passes(?), Star Grunt weaponry Next: Re: [GZG] Real Life catches up to, passes(?), Star Grunt weaponry

Re: [GZG] Real Life catches up to, passes(?), Star Grunt weaponry

From: Oerjan Ariander <orjan.ariander1@c...>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 23:11:39 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Real Life catches up to, passes(?), Star Grunt weaponry

TomB wrote:

>Oerjan said:
>
>(The increase from 20mm to
>25mm calibre might not sound mucy, but it roughly doubles the shell
>volume. Since the fuze is pretty much the same in both shells, it
>allows the 25mm shell to carry much more explosives and fragmenting
>mass than the 20mm round could.)
>
>-------
>
>I'd heard a lot of suggestion that they'd need to stay with something
>in the 40mm range to get a truly effective weapon. I recall 20mm being
>way too small to be effective. Is 25mm big enough? I guess we'll see.

Depends a bit on what you want to shoot at, how accurate you can be
and how much ammo you want to carry; for example the various
ex-Soviet 30mm grenade launchers are pretty nasty too. But yes, 20mm
is definitely too small to rely on fragmentation and IMO 25mm is very
debatable too. 'Course, I prefer 84mm for my HE shells <g>

Later,

Oerjan