Prev: Re: [GZG] Real Life catches up to, passes(?), Star Grunt weaponry Next: Re: [GZG] Real Life catches up to, passes(?), Star Grunt weaponry

Re: [GZG] Real Life catches up to, passes(?), Star Grunt weaponry

From: Tom B <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 16:04:18 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Real Life catches up to, passes(?), Star Grunt weaponry

Oerjan said:

(The increase from 20mm to
25mm calibre might not sound mucy, but it roughly doubles the shell
volume. Since the fuze is pretty much the same in both shells, it
allows the 25mm shell to carry much more explosives and fragmenting
mass than the 20mm round could.)

-------

I'd heard a lot of suggestion that they'd need to stay with something
in the 40mm range to get a truly effective weapon. I recall 20mm being
way too small to be effective. Is 25mm big enough? I guess we'll see.
And we'll see if they've ironed our reliability/robustness issues.

I'm also curious to see if the guy lugging the XM-25 ends up lugging
an M-4 anyway. With 4 rounds per mag and presumably fair weight for
mags, he won't be carrying that many rounds. And it won't be too
useful for door kicking and indoor fighting I would imagine so the
squaddie will still probably need something for that - M-4, Shotgun,
something.

Still, if it does prove useful in attacking prone opponents or
opponents behind barricades or in windows, it may well earn its keep
in COIN warfare.

It seems like it would be of some use even against modern line troops
with armour as they have exposed extremities. In the long run, I can
see defenses against this being thicker ballistic fatigues to limit
the non-hard-armoured areas that can be hurt by the small
fragmentation. Paper, scissors, rock - next chapter. Still, you
probably won't see that on guys in rags with sandals and an AK.

TomB

--
http://ante-aurorum-tenebrae.blogspot.com/
http://www.stargrunt.ca

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy
from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a
precedent that will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine

"When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of
liberty quits the horizon." -- Thomas Paine