Prev: Re: [GZG] Subject: Re: Mixed Role Fighters (design system) Next: Re: [GZG] Subject: Re: Mixed Role Fighters (design system)

Re: [GZG] Subject: Re: Mixed Role Fighters (design system)

From: Robert Mayberry <robert.mayberry@g...>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 11:27:29 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Subject: Re: Mixed Role Fighters (design system)

I had a post a few months back that summarized all the arguments that
multirole fighters were MORE or LESS than the sum of their parts. I
can dig it out if you'd like, because I think it addresses your point.
Besides, since you pay for the carrier that the fighters are deployed
from, and since that cost is typically far more than the fighters
themselves, multiroles are actually not nearly as expensive as they
appear. It's just that more of those points go into teeth than tail
with supermultiroles.

Finally, there's the argument that we already have multi-role
fighters: they're called "fighters". I still don't see how confounding
specializations with tech level helps us.

My feeling is that fighters, missiles, area defense and command and
control (not currently in FT at all) are fleet-level assets that add
increasing marginal effectiveness rather than linear, ship-level
components. (I also think that many ship-level components we currently
pay for actually aren't adding effectiveness to the ship or the
fleet.)

Rob