Prev: Re: [GZG] GROPO Toy Alert! Next: Re: [GZG] GROPO Toy Alert!

Re: [GZG] Running Full Thrust at a con?

From: Tom B <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 12:56:27 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Running Full Thrust at a con?

vote against Mike's comments on teaching cinematic first:

I've been playing FT on and off since 1995 time frame. I've played both
movement systems. I cannot fly in cinematic to save my life. Especially
at
movement rates faster than 6 and some of the nuts out there - not
thinking
of any anti-tank weapon designers - like to fly around at speeds of 40+
in
cinematic. I find I inevitably end up somewhere I didn't expect.

On the other hand, in vector, I can almost always eyeball where my fancy
moves will end me up, where the enemy will end up, where my 3" Salvo
missiles should go for best effect, etc. and have a high degree of
success
in my manouvers. This was even true in FT Java where I could routinely
end
up out of arc or in bad arcs for the enemy.

I find vector intuitive, I find cinematic requires a good ability to
eyeball
where the mid movement turn is going to happen and exactly how sharp it
is
(30 or 60 degrees). If you are moving fast and mis-estimate where the
bend
is to occur or where the angle means you will end up, you can miss your
projected endpoint by up to a foot or more (I've done it).

One small note: We do not allow pre-measuring of ranges or movements.

For me, vector is obvious, the speeds tend to be lower and you have
'drift
endpoint' markers which tell you where your current turn's manouver
envelope
begins and the manouvers are limited. So the end, the range of possible
outcome locations is more finite and easier to eyeball. For all that, I
love
writing unexpected movements and dodging enemy template ordinance.

So, not everyone finds cinematic easier. But I concede most people do.
Try
them both out.

Thomas B.

--
http://ante-aurorum-tenebrae.blogspot.com/
http://www.stargrunt.ca

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy
from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that
will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine

"When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty
quits the horizon." -- Thomas Paine

Prev: Re: [GZG] GROPO Toy Alert! Next: Re: [GZG] GROPO Toy Alert!