Prev: Re: [GZG] First Sci-Fi Game Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Change to 15mm Free Trader Crew.....

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Change to 15mm Free Trader Crew.....

From: Ryan Fisk <ryan.fisk@g...>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 16:24:16 -0600
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Change to 15mm Free Trader Crew.....

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:22 PM, Allan Goodall <agoodall@hyperbear.com>
wrote:
> Sure, but that's not how the scientific method works.

Anyone stating that FTL is impossible is believing such as an article
of faith about future science.	We know it can't be done at our
current level of understanding, but that is all.  Science stops there,
everything past that is faith or soothsaying, not science.

> I hope I'm wrong, as the universe is more interesting if I am, but I
> have more than a sneaking suspicion that FTL is impossible.
>
> FTL is probably just wishful thinking. I really do believe the
> universe is that cruel...

I take it as an article of faith that the universe and the future are
much stranger than we usually imagine.	An example would be a future
where FTL doesn't matter because we live for much longer and taking a
few thousand years to get somewhere is no big deal.  Not living to see
that hypothetical time is where it gets cruel :-)

> (And Clarke wasn't exactly an objective spectator when he wrote that.)

Objectivity is for computers and cameras, I don't believe people can
be objective.  Clarke was telling us to be skeptical, I consider that
a good idea and very scientific.  I think he was also telling us to be
optimistic, which I think is more fun.

--
Ryan Fisk

Prev: Re: [GZG] First Sci-Fi Game Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Change to 15mm Free Trader Crew.....