Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Change to 15mm Free Trader Crew..... Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Change to 15mm Free Trader Crew.....

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Change to 15mm Free Trader Crew.....

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@h...>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 08:57:24 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Change to 15mm Free Trader Crew.....

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 1:40 AM, Evyn MacDude <infojunky@ceecom.net>
wrote:
> Note I did say I was being pendantic..... So please approach with the
humor
> that is intended.....

Don't worry, I did; I was smiling the whole time I wrote that.

>> Oh, I think that's debatable. I'd be willing to bet that the various
>> flavours of Star Wars
>
> Damn-it Allen I said Science Fiction, not fantasy..... Star Wars
doesn't
> count as SF.....

Caught in my carefully laid trap!

Let's look at why Star Wars is fantasy and Traveller is science fiction.

Star Wars is in a fantasy galaxy far, far away. Traveller is in our
galaxy. Or, well, it's our galaxy because Sol is in it. But it's two
dimensional. It's flat. It's like they (sort of) took our galaxy and
sliced it thin onto a microscope slide. At least it's theoretically
possible that the Star Wars galaxy could exist in that physical
configuration somewhere.

Star Wars has FTL. So, too, does Traveller. According to latest
research, faster than light travel is impossible. The most realistic
contender was a space-time warp, but recently that was dismissed.
(Can't find the article I read that pointed out that Hawking radiation
would make crispy critters out of anything in the warp, but here's
another article I found:
http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/23292/).

Star Wars has the whole "why is Hoth within a few hour sublight trip
to Bespin?" problem from Empire Strikes Back. Of course, Traveller has
the whole "flat galaxy" problem, so best not to delve too deeply into
either.

Star Wars has impossible weapons, like lightsabers. Traveller has
impossible weapons, like plasma guns
(http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/rocket3x.html#plasma).

Star Wars has fantasy-based telekinetic and telepathic powers, via The
Force (which Lucas retroactively tried to turn away from a religion
into science fiction through the awful mitochlorians). Traveller has
fantasy-based telekinetic and telepathic powers through psionics.

Yea, Star Wars is WAY more fantasy than Traveller. :-)

(I once had the Citizens of the Imperium book that had stats for young
dirt farmer turned pilot, and despotic, cybernetic Imperial warlord.
Marc Miller saw there was no relation, too. Double- :-)  )

> I prefer the Westend figures as they where closer to 25mm and thus a
> reasonable scale. The plasics from hasbro don't really match any other
> lines....

But they are bigger than 15mm, which is the important part.

> No, you are speaking the truth. But both games are truly Science
fantasy at
> best.

See my carefully laid trap, above. :-)

(If I felt perverse enough, I'd make the argument that Star Wars is
sci-fi and 40K isn't.)

> See this is where we differ, I want 15mm for use with my RPGs, it is
much
> easier taking figures to games that way.

And I want 25mm for my RPGs, because we don't roleplay right at a
table. We game around a coffee table (actually, two end-to-end map
tables) in the middle of our living room. I might just as well use my
15mm Phalons as buy the 15mm not-Firefly crew for roleplaying, for all
the visual differentiation I get when looking from the couch to the
table.

> Tell that to my collection of 15mm Wild West figures, I have a large
> collection 400+ figures.... I went on a buying frenzy after Firefly.

Ha! Looks like I fell into your carefully laid trap!

If I felt like it, I'd do some research into the number of companies
that provide 15mm Wild West versus 25+mm Wild West. But I won't... :-)

--
Allan Goodall		 http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@hyperbear.com