Prev: [GZG] Compatibilty check: Black Hat miniatures VSF Martians (18mm) and GZG infantry (15mm) Next: Re: [GZG] Cylon base stars

Re: [GZG] Requesting a little help with a background (Revolt on Antares!)

From: Kenneth Coble <kmcoble@g...>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 06:18:36 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Requesting a little help with a background (Revolt on Antares!)

Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 2:26 AM, Chris Slavensky
<sepplainer@gmail.com>wrote:

> I would have the  the opening game be the Rebel mission to destroy the
> comsat/magic talk box that the local authorities would use to call for
help?

> You mean the help that you earlier said would be the very last thing
the
Consul would ask for? Hehe... Honestly though, it seems like this would
be
more likely done as a sabotage-type action instead of the kind of
small-unit
combat that SG is designed for; wherever the ansible/stargate/McGuffin
is
located, it's probably going to be ludicrously well-defended.  This is
honestly part of the reason I was trying to figure out a reason for the
Imperals to be the ones who cut the cord, as I figured it would be a lot
easier for them to do so than the Rebels.

Having said that, and based on some of the other feedback (and again
trying
to get into more of an 80's sci-fi paradigm) I'm moving away from the
instant comms/gate idea, and starting to lean more towards an Age of
Sail/Traveller model, where the speed of comms is no faster than the
speed
of FTL travel.	Then I can just figure out how much lag time I'd like
between the beginning of the rebellion and the Terran response and then
move
on with the planning from there.  According to Wikipedia (I know, I
know)
Antares is 600ly/190 parsecs from Earth; at Traveller x-boat speeds of 4
pc/week that's most of a year before Earth itself finds out what's going
on,
although I suppose there'd probably be a sector or subsector
government/fleet center somewhere closer.  On the other hand, that's yet
another layer of Imperial bureaucracy (and possible duplicity) to deal
with
as well!