Prev: Re: [GZG] Tech Levels Next: Re: [GZG] Tech Levels

Re: [GZG] Tech Levels

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 20:29:56 -0600
Subject: Re: [GZG] Tech Levels

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 9:22 AM, Binhan Lin <binhan.lin@gmail.com> wrote:

> One caveat - I do like British Colonial gaming - hordes of sword and
spear
> wielding natives against breech loading rifles and early MG's is
appealing
> to me, especially as a native player. Casualties are horrendous, but
the

Point of fact:	The Fuzzy Wuzzies can certainly kill their opponents,
they simply have to get slightly closer than Tommy Atkins has to.  If
they can't, then the story is truly different.	Thing to consider:
>From approx 1700 to approx 1960, there was NO technological
development in the area of body armor.	Massive change in firearms,
but armor was essentially non-existent.  If you postulate advances in
body armor that keep pace with weapons (as Stargrunt seems to)
relatively soon Fuzzy Wuzzy with a spear or a primitive firearm or
whatever is going to not be a factor worth nothing.  Now the easy way
around that is to suggest that arms dealers would have supplied the
native with modern weapons and a limited quantity of ammunition.  See:
Sioux vs. 7th Cavalry, where the majority of the Sioux were carrying
more technologically advanced weapons than their opponents.

John
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] Tech Levels Next: Re: [GZG] Tech Levels