Prev: Re: [GZG] 6mm Stargrunt Next: Re: [GZG] 6mm Stargrunt

Re: [GZG] 6mm Stargrunt

From: Samuel Penn <sam@g...>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 22:24:11 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] 6mm Stargrunt

On Monday 22 December 2008 20:29:35 Tom B wrote:
> Well, on the plus side, 6mm is the right scale for SG2.
>
> ???!??? you say!
>
> 10m = 1" = 2.54 cm. 6mm is slightly less than 1/4". That's 2.5m. So
6mm is
> pretty close to a 2m figure in full battle rattle.

Pretty much the conclusion that we come to every time we have
a battle. 25mm has the best 'look' in my opinion, despite the
discrepancy in figure/table scale, but 6mm fits the ground
scale pretty well though seems fiddly to use (15mm IMO combines
the worst of both scales - or at least, doesn't provide enough
of an advantage).

> So 6mm starts out being right - 6mm terrain can become very nearly
WYSIWYG.
> If you base a squad on standard GZG 2,3,4 person bases (2-3 of them),
you
> can generally handle normal scenarios and detached elements.
>
> I briefly toyed with mounting every figure via a brass rod peg
protruding
> from the base and a hole in the middle of each 'figure space' in Jon's
> bases. When I realized the accuracy I'd have to develop in drilling to
get
> this right, I sort of abandoned the plan.
>
> I think if you want removable figures, you might try:

Another option I've thought about is magnetic bases, though I don't
know how well they'd work in practice. I've seen magnetic DIY base
material at shows, but I've never got around to buying any to give
it a try.

> 2) Don't use a GZG base. Make an approximate right sized base out of
> hardboard 1/8" thick (or a metal base from sheet metal, or a cardstock
base
> from heavy cardstock, or a plastic base from some stiff sheet
styrene).
> Mount a pile of blue-tac on it. Paint said blue-tac green and flock
it.
> Then, drill each figure's base (with a pin vise) between the legs and
> insert a small chunk of brass rod or else a short chunk of a finishing
> nail. Leave it to protrude from the base about 3/16" or so. Since the
blue
> tac should remain a bit tacky, you should be able to just push the pin
into
> the blue-tac.

That sounds like another idea worth investigating.

> 6mm would give you a more appropriate feel for the scale of t he
> battlefield, which is why it has always tempted me.
>
> The only impediment is I hate painting 6mm figures!

I've already got a couple of armies for DirtSide, so that's not
too much of an issue, though a lot less thought has gone into
them compared to my (~6) 25mm armies.

--
Be seeing you,			       http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.			    Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@glendale.org.uk

Prev: Re: [GZG] 6mm Stargrunt Next: Re: [GZG] 6mm Stargrunt