Prev: Re: [GZG] Small arms tech and troop quality Next: Re: [GZG] Small arms tech and troop quality

Re: [GZG] Small arms tech and troop quality

From: "Ryan Fisk" <ryan.fisk@g...>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 09:14:39 -0700
Subject: Re: [GZG] Small arms tech and troop quality

Ok,

Something that's driving me crazy even trying to comment on this issue
is that everyone keeps throwing in mismatched weaponry to the equation
then asking how much skill matters.

It almost impossible to compare a unit of fighters with WW1 Bolt
Action Rifles with a modern unit of fighters using assault rifles
without taking into account range and terrain, because with even a
modicum of skill the WW1 Bolt Action Rifles seriously outrange the
assault rifles.  On an open plain, the guys with assault rifles will
die or run because they have to spend a few hundred yards getting shot
at with no effective reply.  Whereas in a wooded area or city, the
guys with assault rifles will tend to dominate.  In these cases the
weapon factor overrides the skill factor.

And while I understand that the issue is exactly how much should it
matter when weapon and skill are thrown together.  I would argue that
even with poor weapons, the better skilled will tend to dominate the
less skilled.  Let the weapons just decide where and when they can
dominate.  Shotguns vs Rifles isn't a fight, it's a slaughter unless
it's under 100 yards, whereas Assault Rifles vs. Bolt Action Rifles
isn't really a fight unless it's under 500 yards, and closer to 300
yards.

--
Ryan Fisk

Prev: Re: [GZG] Small arms tech and troop quality Next: Re: [GZG] Small arms tech and troop quality