Prev: Re: [GZG] Interesting mercenary idea Next: Re: [GZG] Interesting mercenary idea

Re: [GZG] Interesting mercenary idea

From: Phillip Atcliffe <atcliffe@n...>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 07:05:47 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] Interesting mercenary idea

B wrote:
> Rick Shelley wrote a series of books about the Dirigent Mercenary
> Company (DMC). Dirigent's main export is mercenaries and the colony
> world is run by a council of senior unit commanders.
>
> Similarly, the older Joel Rosenberg book Not For Glory deals with a
> mercenary organization of Jewish or Israeli (pretty much my prototype
> for the NI) origins. They have a poor world and export mercenaries to
> help purchase critical supplies for their people.
>
> Falkenberg's Legion and The Mercenary by Jerry Pournelle (Hi Phil!)
> are also seminal novels in this sort of genre.
>
> <http://www.stargrunt.ca/settings_hist/gzg_timeline/gzg_timeline.htm>
And let's not forget a classic series of books in which organised
interstellar mercenaries are not only fundamental to the human societies

it describes, but form the basis for several planets' economies -- the
Dorsai books by Gordon R Dickson. Dunno if this universe makes a good
basis for the kind of merc regulation that the list has been discussing,

because /everyone/ in the Dorsai series seems to be subject to the same
kind of economic rules coutesy of their "contracts" and it doesn't
matter what you do for a living.

Phil

Prev: Re: [GZG] Interesting mercenary idea Next: Re: [GZG] Interesting mercenary idea