Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: troop-carrying VTOLs....? Next: Re: [GZG] Odd Trivia question for Jon T

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: troop-carrying VTOLs....?

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 09:48:33 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: troop-carrying VTOLs....?

>  >I think this comes down to how modular is accomplished. There is no
reason
>>that the module couldn't dock up with the cockpit once engaged. A
pressure
>>door could seal the two compartments away from one another, but still
allow
>>access in case of emergency or for the crew chief to check things on
>>missions.
>>
>>-Eli
>

>The point is more about the design of the Mantis gunship cockpit;
>it's a narrow tandem seat module accessed via an opening canopy, not
>a "flight deck" like a Huey or Blackhawk with two side-by-side seats
>and room for someone to squeeze between them from the rear
>compartment.....
>
>I think that for this particular design, I'm going to stick with the
>current cockpit and a small separate troop pod (for around 8 grunts)
>behind it; I may at some point also do a slightly larger VTOL with a
>more conventional layout.
>
>Jon (GZG)

Further to my own post, when I refer to a separate troop pod I DON'T
necessarily mean a demountable one - simply that it's isolated from
the cockpit module (a very valid point was made earlier about
operations in hostile environments, where it may be advantageous to
keep the cockpit sealed and only open the grunts' bay to any noxious
nasties....).

With reference to weaponry, if I keep the Mantis cockpit (or even if
I redesigned it) I will keep the chin gun, but the missile pods will
go to make room for the troop bay. Of course, the troop pod could
also have some armament of its own, perhaps a pair of ball-mounted
tribarrels on the front corners for suppression of a hot LZ...?

Jon (GZG)