Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: troop-carrying VTOLs....? Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: troop-carrying VTOLs....?

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: troop-carrying VTOLs....?

From: "Tom B" <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 14:50:04 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: troop-carrying VTOLs....?

ots do tend to be 'bus drivers'. HOWEVER....

Most modern military craft have to be multi-mission capable (unless
you're
in a really big military that can afford spec purpose gear for all
scenarios). Even a 'slick' may have occasion to mount some ordinance or
act in as casevac role or cargo transport role as the situation on the
ground demands it.

Think of your average troop carrying chopper nowadays: Most can or will
mount some form of defensive suite as well as some form of limited
offense
(or at least can do so). Most will also be used for extractions. Most
have
onboard crew gunners who help to clear LZ's and cover people moving to
the
LZ or the vehicle extracting from the LZ. If they're a CSAR or Medevac
configuration, they'll have some dedicated medical personel. And they
will
need to be in or around the troop compartment.

I know you're trying to keep a look, but a useful troop transport should
handle at least 8 troops and maybe as many as 12. That augurs for a
bigger
vehicle. I think the Mantis is too small and streamlined. You might want
think about a whole independent design.

I don't know about anyone else but I liked the old CMD BoxCar and
SuperBoxcar designs. I always wanted to see them in resins in the bigger
lines.

--
http://ante-aurorum-tenebrae.blogspot.com/
http://www.stargrunt.ca

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy
from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that
will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine

"When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty
quits the horizon." -- Thomas Paine