Prev: Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale? Next: Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale?

[GZG] A comment on figure sizing

From: "Tom B" <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 18:06:30 -0400
Subject: [GZG] A comment on figure sizing

read the link that was posted to Andy Cowell's page. It talked about the
Barrett scale for miniatures and provided a handy definition (bottom of
foot
to eye height). Useful at least for anthropomorphic figures. Not so
clearly
useful for vehicle kits, aliens, etc.

But another thing that caught me: Figure poses matter. Andy didn't
really
take that into account, but you can't really look at a running figure
and
use that as an accurate measure of true height. I mean, would you use a
prone figure or a kneeling figure? Obviously not either. So you kind of
need
a figure from the line that is just standing there. Or else you need to
have
a way to approximate that.

And the L/M/H designation seems based on figure weight rather than bulk.
I'd
have thought bulk was the more aesthetic characteristic. He rated the
big
plastic 1/32 guy as light, but he didn't look less than medium to me,
except
if you considered his material.

Still, I like this scale and think it a good starting point for
reviewing
minis. I also think it is a good starting point for developing a scale
assessment for vehicle kits as well since your usual question is 'what
scale
will this work well with'.

I find a kind of sad humour in looking at my old Ral Partha 25mm D&D
figures
and the newer Reaper figs... even a wimpy Reaper fig really just
overwhelms
their side.

TomB
--
"Now, I go to spread happiness to the rest of the station. It is a
terrible

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead."  --  Thomas Paine

   Thomas Paine

Prev: Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale? Next: Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale?