Prev: Re: [GZG] FT: Modern Naval Next: Re: [GZG] SFB to Full Thrust conversions

Re: [GZG] FT: Modern Naval

From: Ken Hall <khall39@y...>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 08:19:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] FT: Modern Naval

ults are similar in computer Harpoon. I was playing 1.57 for the Mac a
few years ago, and did the North Atlantic scenario pitting the IOWA and
KIROV surface action groups. The US didn't even need the
Volkswagens--the Tomahawks savaged the Soviet formation from something
like 300 miles away. Attack effectively first.

  Best,
  Ken

Indy <indy.kochte@gmail.com> wrote:

  On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 10:05 PM, Tom B <kaladorn@gmail.com> wrote:
    [...]
I remember playing Harpoon long ago, double blind, and only making
passing contact with the enemy (never getting into engagement range) -
enemy sub. I also remember playing some sort of plane (PC-3?) with
harpoons against a pair of Sovs... Krivak and Sovremny or something?
Anyway, one was a missile cruiser. I came in low from about 10:30 as it
turned out. I detectd them before they picked me up. I was able to dump
an entire missile salvo ( 4 missiles ) the bank away and fly off board.
The enemy players never saw me. The 4 harpoons badly savaged both enemy
surface craft, in part because they could not get pivoted fast enough to
bring their CIWS into line. They tried intercepts with countermissiles
and failed (part of it was they didn't see the harpoons sea-skimming
until quite late or something like that).

Good on ya.

I played one game of Harpoon. I was commanding the Soveremeny. :)  Long
story short, a Ticonderoga that was escorting a convoy pulled out of
formation to pick up a couple of helos that were running low on fuel and
wouldn't make it back to the fleet in time. We could see it with our
helo and I set my Sov on an intercept course. When I got within range, I
unloaded my full bore of Sunburn missiles.

The Tico fought them off bravely, defiantly, but really, in the end,
didn't have a chance.

Only real victory the Russians got that game. The rest of the Russian
fleet ran into two reconstituted US battleships throwing volkswagons at
the them.

Harpoon is probably a pretty good simulation, but it can make for a
sucky game at times.

Yeah, I agree. It was an educational game, but it felt more simmy than
gamey.

Mk

Prev: Re: [GZG] FT: Modern Naval Next: Re: [GZG] SFB to Full Thrust conversions