Prev: Re: [GZG] FT Light: 5 is the new 6? Next: Re: [GZG] Troop potential

Re: [GZG] Troop potential

From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 20:16:33 +0300
Subject: Re: [GZG] Troop potential

On 7/28/08, Robert Mayberry <robert.mayberry@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder whether the use of peacetime conscription changes a country's
> culture appreciably? I'm inclined to say it should, but I haven't seen
> anything on it.

Don't know about the country's culture, but it changes the Army's
culture, and not in a positive way.  Professionals do things
differently than a bunch of folks who don't want to be there.  A lot
comes down to how conscription is viewed--if it is hated and the
population attempts to avoid it, it degrades the quality of your lower
enlisted very badly, attitude-wise.  It also has very negative effects
on your NCO Corps in the long run.

> Of course, in a setting where you have strong transhumanist elements,
> you could well see conscription from birth (kind of like genetic
> Janissaries), which would probably introduce a whole new dimension of
> complexity to the question.

Oh, yuck.  That's lovely.  Please tell me your idea of the genetically
perfect Soldier isn't limited imagination, blind obedience, and great
physical strength.  Most of the authors that play with this theme
seems to think that's the goal.

It's telling that few of them have military service.

Unless you can gene-engineer attitudes, a good long-service
professional is not going to be something you can breed for.  And I'll
take attitude any day.

John
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] FT Light: 5 is the new 6? Next: Re: [GZG] Troop potential