Prev: Re: [GZG] What are the pitfalls of standardised forces? Next: Re: [GZG] DS3? Artillery [TOBECLASSIFIED] [SEC=PERSONAL]

Re: [GZG] Subject: Re: What are the pitfalls of standardised forces?

From: Tony Wilkinson <twilko@o...>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 14:08:57 +1000
Subject: Re: [GZG] Subject: Re: What are the pitfalls of standardised forces?

y all,

Assault guns came about because;

1) Cost - far cheaper than a tank.
2) Manufacture - quicker and easier to build that a turret and no fiddly

turret rings to have to mill.
3) Gun Size - you can mount a far bigger gun on the same chassis (see
below)
4) Reuse of old hulls - an old tank that is obsolete can make an
effective Assault gun. Take the German Panzer II from WWII. Obsolete by
1940 being only able to mounted a 20mm gun, by 1944 it is being remade
into the Hertzer assault gun mounting a pretty good 75mm. A similar
story with the Panzer III and IV.

They are also smaller than a tank have better frontal armour for the
same weight (leaving out the Jagtiger).

Gotta remember that the gun can still swivel but no where near as much
as a tank.

Tony.