Prev: Re: [GZG] GW and Re: Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!) Next: Re: [GZG] DS3?

Re: [GZG] GW and Re: Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!)

From: "John Lerchey" <lerchey@a...>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 16:46:53 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] GW and Re: Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!)

Yup.

Other references include collectable card games, collecatable minis
games (heroclix, et al), and even comic books where some companies
started producing multiple runs of the same book, with different covers.

This is one of the things that turned me off to "collecting" in general.
Now my collections are (kind of) more useful.  Ok, I have some minis
just 'cause I like 'em, but I have NO minis that I bought for the
purpose of selling at a profit in the future.

It's even worse with GW as their intent seems to be to devalue their
older minis my writing them out of their own games. :)

John "I sold off my squats years ago" L.

> Andy,
>
> Your issue with the GW take on collecting is somethign that has formed
> over the years with collecting in all forms. Originally things were
> collected, because people collected them. Now things are made to be
> collected. It is the speculative collection and artificial
colelctibility
> that GW (among others) is hoping to tap into. The idea is to convince
> people that you stuff is collectible or to produce it with artificial
> rarity to generate/stimulate collector interest.
>
> -Eli
>
> -------------- Original message -------------- From: Andy Skinner
> <andyskinner@rcn.com>
>
>> I didn't expect to post anything to this or related threads, because
>> I'm kinda hoping they'll go away, but ...
>>
>> I've wondered this, too. They talk about "collecting", which is what
we
>> do when we see a figure and imagine a way it might go with an army we
>> have, or look around for some interesting conversion-fodder to make
what
>> we want. It is rummaging is discount bins, etc.
>>
>> But any GW store I've been in has exactly the same stuff as any other
>> or the online store, at the same prices. What GW calls "collecting",
>> seems to me to just be "buying". Maybe it becomes a hobby just
because
>> you can't afford to just buy what you want, so you have to approach
it
>> strategically.
>>
>> I'm not anti-GW. I've got various stuff from them, and actually want
>> play their LotR game, and use some figures in other games. (I don't
like
>> their devotion to special rules for figures--I just can't keep up.)
But
>> the "GW Hobby" and their take on collecting puzzle me.
>>
>> andy

John K. Lerchey
Assistant Director for Incident Response
Information Security Office
Carnegie Mellon University

Prev: Re: [GZG] GW and Re: Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!) Next: Re: [GZG] DS3?