Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] IMPORTANT!! Last Minute 4th July Offer for US list members Next: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

From: Indy <indy.kochte@g...>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 22:42:30 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

> Tom B wrote:
> > Mr. Tailby spoke rashly and said:
> >
> > GW (not unreasonably) insist on people using their models at an
event
> > they are running or sponsoring. No different to any other
corporation.

> > --------------
> >
> > Sorry, but it is. Many corporations in fact produce games either
> > designed to be used with whatever miniatures you want or at least
open
> > to the idea that you will supplement their official miniatures with
> others.
>
> I know GZG is different, but, do the Flames of War people allow you to
> bring
> unofficial miniatures to play in their official tournaments?	Or the
> Wizkids tournaments?	Does Mongoose Publishing let you bring homebrew
> Shadow Omegas?

I don't know about Wizkids or Mongoose, but Battlefront (makers of FoW)
would PREFER it if you used their minis. That said, they have not
insofar as
I know banned players who have mixed product forces. I think most
players of
FoW try to stick mostly with FoW figs because of the preference, but
there
are a few out there who have *no* FoW figs and have participated in
tournies
and local game shop events (I personally know two of them).

Now, on their website forum, they have stated that if you post photos of
your minis, at least 3/4 or more of the figs in a given photo must be
Battlefront figs. It is their website, after all, and since they are
paying
for it, they can call the shots on that.

> All of us can name a bunch of smaller companies that produce minis or
> mini-like things that are 'open source' -- but I don't think any of
the
> larger, more popular game companies willingly embrace such an ideal.
>

> So, I don't think the original assertion is invalid.	Has anybody
> actually tried this and succeed with any of the bigger companies?
> (Say Wizkids, Wizards of the Coast, SJ Games, Battlefront, Rackham --
the
> things that the FLGS downstairs stocks.  I think I already know what
GW
> would
> say.	(8-))

I've a couple of friends who play FoW who do not have any Battlefront
minis
(or are s-l-o-w-l-y converting their current stock to BF minis; one of
them
has been using a bunch of 1/72 scale minis for his Sov tankovya army for
the
past few years because that's what he's owned for nearly two decades, he
is
just starting to get some BF minis to expand his army options)

Mk