Prev: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! Next: [GZG] Subject: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!--counters for GZG games

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Another question: SF game styles...?

From: Andy Hemming <nonsense_factory@h...>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 16:52:14 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Another question: SF game styles...?

lol... & no category for speculative fiction...

I suppose the best thing I could say is that I was brought up on Star
wars & rpg's... I'm not sure I want military vs military stuff on every
occasion - I like the wargaming table & toys out fun, but would like to
shift towards a plucky band of heroes/villains/pirates/whatever vs
military

SG2 has been good fun and will continue to be no doubt, but perhaps I
want FMAS!!

I won't hold my breath... but perhaps will do some homebrewing in my
basement!

From: agoodall@hyperbear.com> To: gzg-l@vermouth.csua.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Another question: SF game styles...?> > On
Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 11:56 AM, Samuel Penn <sam@glendale.org.uk> wrote:>
> When I think of Hard SF, I tend to think of authors such as> > Greg
Bear, Stephen Baxter, Vernor Vinge or Charles Stross.> > None of them
would translate well to the gaming table> > (though the Tines might be
interesting to model in SG).> > I think that might be part of the
problem with a poll like this. It's> not exactly obvious what
constitutes "hard science fiction" and what> is "soft science fiction".>
> When I was growing up, hard SF consisted of fiction with a relatively>
accurate look at science, even if some things were allowed that were>
technically impossible. Hard SF didn't mean "no FTL!". Hard SF meant>
that when the author based his story on the tidal pull of a neutron>
star he did his homework. "Soft SF" was everything that wasn't "hard".>
> By the definition I grew up with, the Tuffleyverse swings between
hard> and soft SF. There's not enough detail to know if what the>
Tuffleyverse postulates is pure space opera. SG2 in particular seems> to
be close to "hard SF".> > Of course today we have another definition
muddying the waters:> Mundane SF. This is an extreme variant on hard SF,
where only that> which is possible is written. No FTL. No interplanetary
adventures.> Strictly what makes physical, logical, and economic sense.
I haven't> read any myself, and I've heard a number of people grumble
against> mundane SF zealots who turn up their noses at other forms of SF
as> "badwrongfun".> > I noticed Jon didn't mention mundane SF in his
poll. There are few> games that fit that title, though there are a few
on the console game> platforms (the games that extrapolate "future
warrior" tech into the> next decade would qualify).> > Allan> -- > Allan
Goodall http://www.hyperbear.com> agoodall@hyperbear.com>
The next generation of Windows Live is here
http://www.windowslive.co.uk/get-live

Prev: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! Next: [GZG] Subject: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!--counters for GZG games