Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Another question: SF game styles...? Next: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Another question: SF game styles...?

From: Andy Skinner <andyskinner@r...>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 16:24:22 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Another question: SF game styles...?

I have a little different take on this.

I prefer games with rules based on effect, and I can decide the style by
choosing the effects I want.  This works best with a point system,
though of course there are weaknesses with that.

So if I made a giant walking thingy in a more realistic world, I might
add whatever walking ability, plus some flaws that make it easy to spot
and shoot.  If I wanted to make it in a more fantastic setting, I might
not add the easy-to-shoot stuff, because it is so big it obviously can
shrug off your puny guns, or whatever.	With points and effects-based
rules, at least these can co-exist on the game table, though those using
them may think the other is loony.  :)	This points to expectations of
those with whom you play being more important than the rules'
assumptions.

Effects-based rules can ignore whether the technology should work, and
you just choose the effects that describe what you're after.  I think of
The WarEngine, which is the underlying rules in Shock Force.

Many years ago, I originally bought GW's Space Marine 6mm game as a big
box of minis to use with Dirtside II.  But I felt that DSII made
assumptions about walkers, capacity, etc, that I didn't necessarily want
to live with.  That probably meant I was happy with the GW game (and I
was for a while, because the basic rules were simpler, until I found out
about all the layers that get put on).

There are probably lots of assumptions in rules that can't be abstracted
to effects, however, like the role of morale or quality, the importance
of squad vs individuals, etc.  But I'm not sure if that's a hard SF /
soft SF issue, or something else.

andy

Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Another question: SF game styles...? Next: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!