Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Another question: SF game styles...? Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Another question: SF game styles...?

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Another question: SF game styles...?

From: "Tom B" <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 11:46:30 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Another question: SF game styles...?

Jon asked:

What style(s) of SF ground combat game do you prefer, and why?

Possible categories:

(a) "Realistic" games that are a serious projection of current
technology/tactics/organisatio
n, with a few SF ideas added?

(b) Games based in a specific "hard SF" background, true to the
source material even if some of it has already been overtaken by Real
World stuff (Hammer's Slammers and Aliens are prime examples...)?

(c) Games where the background (deliberately) has no connection with
our real world,  eg Star Wars?

(d) anything else you can think of....?

------------------

I'd have to say somewhere between a) and b). The Hard SF books I like
are the ones that are sort of up-to-date-plus-a-bit. Hammer's might
have been no so bad at one point, but it is dating now. There is newer
'military SF' that is like modern+looking ahead.

I find that if I have a realistic ruleset, I can usually find
reasonably easy ways to break those rules to produce b) or c) effects.
If I have a game which does not provide a realistic feeling basis, it
is a much harder proposition to twist a ruleset of type c) into shape
to do more realistic things.

Thomas B.
--
"Now, I go to spread happiness to the rest of the station. It is a
terrible responsibility but I have learned to live with it."

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Thomas Paine