Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Another question: SF game styles...? Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Another question: SF game styles...?

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Another question: SF game styles...?

From: Evyn MacDude <infojunky@c...>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 08:27:02 -0700
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Another question: SF game styles...?

On Jul 1, 2008, at 1:49 AM, Ground Zero Games wrote:

> A quick poll-type question where everyone can chip in with their
> opinions:
>
> What style(s) of SF ground combat game do you prefer, and why?
>
> Possible categories:
>
> (a) "Realistic" games that are a serious projection of current
> technology/tactics/organisation, with a few SF ideas added?
>
> (b) Games based in a specific "hard SF" background, true to the
> source material even if some of it has already been overtaken by Real
> World stuff (Hammer's Slammers and Aliens are prime examples...)?

Some of A and B. Zap guns and what not have always just stood in for
the sixgun of the western genre in my mind. Advancement of what is
the current tech in a lot of ways is more science fiction than total
replacements.

The settings that attract me are the work-a-day ones where tech just
is, and is obviously being used, Traveller, Outland (Shotguns in
space), Firefly, your universe. all of these have a feel for a
working universe. As such i like small games that scale to everyday
concerns.

Evyn MacDude
infojunky@ceecom.net