Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Another question: SF game styles...? Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Another question: SF game styles...?

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Another question: SF game styles...?

From: paul@o...
Date: 01 Jul 2008 11:18:44 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Another question: SF game styles...?

> What style(s) of SF ground combat game do you prefer, and why?
>
> Possible categories:
>
> (a) "Realistic" games that are a serious projection of current
> technology/tactics/organisation, with a few SF ideas added?

I'm not as big a fan, as these tend to degenerate into armchair generals

loudly voicing their opinions on what is and isn't possible, which
detracts
from the laser guns and spaceships.

> (b) Games based in a specific "hard SF" background, true to the
> source material even if some of it has already been overtaken by Real
> World stuff (Hammer's Slammers and Aliens are prime examples...)?

Again, not a huge fan, as it leads to nerds loudly arguing
interpretations
of super-specific details of the genre, instead of getting on with the
enjoyment of the game.

(Exception: the GZGverse, since it's, you know, all yours to mess around

with.)

> (c) Games where the background (deliberately) has no connection with
> our real world,  eg Star Wars?

This is where I tend to lean, as it gives us the most freedom of the
background to come up with fun stuff to play with, and not get slogged
down
in the details.

> (d) anything else you can think of....?

Terrible space monkeys!