Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Another question: SF game styles...? Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Another question: SF game styles...?

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Another question: SF game styles...?

From: "John Lerchey" <lerchey@a...>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 09:19:11 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Another question: SF game styles...?

I'm going with (d).

I like the general "Tufflyverse" motif.  The major powers are nice
projections into a possible future.  However, I also like to have the
option to expand it.  For example, I use a series of grav tanks (DSM114
is one of them, I think) with Adler Kiff infantry in powered armor as an
alien force loosely amalgamated from Star Gate Jaffa and Kif in the
Chanur books.  I also like to pull in OGREs once in a while.  One of our
players has a mercenary company of Mechs.  I want all of this stuff to
"work" in my games.

That also means adding some new weapons.  I want some more generic
energy weapons, so I've written up stats for blasters and phased
particle cannons.

That said, my focus is still in the DS3 realm.	I don't think that it
would make much sense for SG:AC to have OGREs in it... Though I do have
two of Joel Frocks 15mm scale OGRE Mk IIIs...
:)

> A quick poll-type question where everyone can chip in with their
> opinions:
>
> What style(s) of SF ground combat game do you prefer, and why?
>
> Possible categories:
>
> (a) "Realistic" games that are a serious projection of current
> technology/tactics/organisation, with a few SF ideas added?
>
> (b) Games based in a specific "hard SF" background, true to the source
> material even if some of it has already been overtaken by Real World
stuff
> (Hammer's Slammers and Aliens are prime examples...)?
>
> (c) Games where the background (deliberately) has no connection with
our
> real world,  eg Star Wars?
>
> (d) anything else you can think of....?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jon (GZG)

John K. Lerchey
Assistant Director for Incident Response
Information Security Office
Carnegie Mellon University