Prev: Re: [GZG] Mine resistant vehicles Next: Re: [GZG] Mine resistant vehicles

Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies

From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 06:04:11 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 9:20 PM, Tony Wilkinson <twilko@ozemail.com.au>
wrote:

>  True enough but then how often do "insurgents" not have outside help?

As far as I know, once in human history.

>  Don't forget too that the Soviets did deploy quite a few special
forces
> units (mostly if not entirely Spetznaz, possibly some interior
ministry
> types) and still lost numerous small engagements.

Look, this is my impressed face.

Soviet Special Forces---when you absolutely, positively, have to kill
someone with a thrown hatchet backflip.

Their operational history makes me think of them as assclowns, don't
mind me.

> that is still a major historical debate. The US pulled out of Vietnam
but it
> was in no way collapsing. And yes the irregulars were being backed by
NVA,
> but not to fight major engagements until the last year or two with one
> exception. Insurgents, guerrilias, rebels, freedom fighters,
assymetricals,
> whatever don't win by fighting major battlefield engagements, they win
by
> making it politically untenable for the major power to stay.

You're wrong on Vietnam, actually.  NLF forces were not a factor after
1968, and PAVN was heavily involved before then as well.

>  If you want a battlefield example then the early stages of the Tet
> offensive. Yes the US "won" but it was touch and go for a while.

Tactically, nope.  Nowhere.

John
and again. We're looking for thousands of Persians."
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] Mine resistant vehicles Next: Re: [GZG] Mine resistant vehicles