Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if? Next: Re: [GZG] SG-3 Technology Differences

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if?

From: "John Lerchey" <lerchey@a...>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 14:15:44 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if?

> On Feb 8, 2008 7:30 AM, Doug Evans <devans@nebraska.edu> wrote:

> UAVs are taking over airpower because air combat is relatively simple,

> essentially a matter of basic physical laws and fought in a
featureless
> mass of air.	And they are still human-guided.  I can see full robot
> fighters relatively soon, but not robot or even remote infantry.
> Introduce complex terrain and non-combatants, and it will be more
> difficult for some software geek to write code to control them.
> Especially as playing video games doesn't introduce you to the
principles
> involved in quite the same way.

> John -- "Thousands of Sarmatians, Thousands of Franks, we've slain
them
> again and again.  We're looking for thousands of Persians." --Vita
> Aureliani

And yet, on Future Weapons, they've been showing small tracked bots
(remote control - I actually have issue with "robot" being used for
remote control, but who cares?) about the size of a german shepard that
can be armed with an M249, grenade launcher, multi-shot ATM launcher,
etc.  Pretty neat, and it keeps the humans further from direct harm.
So, I can see where remote control man-sized gun platforms could easily
start to, maybe not replace, but enhance infantry.  In fact, that might
be a neat thing for me to try out in DS3.  The basic rules are in place
for remote controlled vehicles. I just need to whip up some suitable
small tracked small arms platforms for playtesting.  I even have a force
that I don't have infantry selected for that I could try it out on. :)

John

John K. Lerchey
Assistant Director for Incident Response
Information Security Office
Carnegie Mellon University

Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if? Next: Re: [GZG] SG-3 Technology Differences