Prev: [GZG] So many questions Next: Re: [GZG] So many questions

RE: [GZG]Somanyquestions [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@d...>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 16:15:36 +1000
Subject: RE: [GZG]Somanyquestions [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Welcome to the breach!	Don't mind the sheep or the Narn Bat Squad...
Trying to answer in order:

1.  MT Missiles as written are "obsolete" compared to salvo missiles
(easier to intercept by PDS, low damage).  There are beta rules for
updated missiles floating around that rebalances them to FTFB status.

2.  Fighter Bays and Hanger Bays are very similar.  The only "in game"
distinction I can see is the ability to re-arm and relaunch fighters
during a game.	They both require 1.5 mass per 1 mass of ship and cost
the same.  PSB-wise, you could operate fighters from regular hanger bays
(lots of room), but couldn't operate interface landers from a fighter
bay (specialty design for combat launch/recovery of fighters).
	In theory, you could operate a fleet carrier with only 1 hanger
bay (holding 6-8 squadrons + interface shuttles and other spacecraft),
but a single threshold check would eviscerate the ship.
	Hanger Bays are generally used to carry "parasite" warships
between star systems (such as mass 3 banzai jammers or mass 4 fast scout
ships).

3.  Very rusty on DSII rules, so I'll leave that one.

4.  Interfacing between FT, SG & DS depends on what you want to do, and
what the end result is.  The "common" method of interfacing is:
A.  Play the FT planetary assault to suppress space defences and ground
based missile/fighter launch sites.
B.  Abstract the initial landing of forces onto the planet (don't forget
your freighters to bring those forces in!  1 FT Mass = 20 CS of DSII
cargo.
C.  Use DSII to fight out pitched battles involving entire companies and
armoured assaults (with fighter and Ortillery support).
D.  Use SGII to fight "special forces" scenarios from 1-3 companies with
a small number of supporting vehicles.
	If you want to include points costing, the currently accepted
conversion rates (based on long math and PSB discussions) is that 1 NPV
= 60 DS points.  As SG doesn't have a point system, you pay for those as
the abstract DS forces and arm them appropriately according to your
doctrine.

Brendan
'Neath Southern Skies
http://home.pacific.net.au/~southernsk/