Prev: Re: [GZG]BigPhotocollectionof6mmBattlecars [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED] Next: RE: [GZG]Somanyquestions [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

[GZG] So many questions

From: "James Austin" <james@q...>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 17:49:40 +1200
Subject: [GZG] So many questions

the last couple of days reading some of the archives for
this list, as well as reading through all the rules for FT and DS in
detail,
and now I've got a few questions for everybody if thats ok.
 But first up, I didn't mention last time about me. I'm a computer
science
student in Dunedin, New Zealand. I'm also a recently commissioned
Territorial Force officer in the NZ army. Like I said, I'm new to
tabletop
gaming in general.
 I said I had questions. In no particular order:
 I havn't seen any reference to missiles (ie single shot missiles as
decribed in More Thrust) in any of the canon ship designs in either of
the
fleet books. Only salvo missiles. In the desription of Salvo missiles in
FB1, it doesn't seem to be saying that the intention was to replace the
old
style missiles, and yet they seem to have done so. Am I missing
something?
 In Fullthrust, are hangar bays and fighter bays effectively the same
thing,
or or they distinct? ie if a ship were to carry interface craft and
fighters
would it need seperate bays? Perhaps each fighter wing needs it own bay?
Or
maybe a ship just needs a certain amount of mass dedicated to space for
bays
and its all just one big hangar? I'm sorry but I cant quite wrap my head
around bays in general. Anyone care to clear things up for me?
 One thing that I found unclear for Dirtside II was the rules for
infantry
firing upon vehicles. Do they still need to test for effective fire as
described in the rules for infantry firefights? (It is a different
situation
when you're firing a missile at a tank 3.6km away than when you're
enaging
infantry at say 500m.) I'm guessing that IAVR shots are affected by
checks
for effective fire.
 On that topic, do manpad LAD and mortars need to make effectiveness
checks
as well?

 Well I think thats all the queries I have about the rules for now.
However,
I've still a couple more questions.
 I've only read the rules for Dirtside and Full Thrust (ie the
downloadable
rules books) but can anyone suggest to me whether Stargrunt or Dirtside
would be better as ground combat rules to interface with Full Thrust?
This
is the type of situation that most interests me right now: Multi battle
scenarios involving invasions of planets, including the naval (space)
battle
to breach system defences followed by planetary invasions.
 Before you jump on to suggest I should start small, well I will
obviously
have to do so to start with. But I do also intend to write game software
with the purpose of from speeding the game (by doing calculations on a
nearby laptop say), to possibly computerising the whole thing.
 Before you plan on killing me for potentially eliminating the need to
buy
models Jon, I actually envisage (way down the track) the following type
of
setup: Colocated, ceiling mounted camera and data projector pointed at
the
play area, both connected to the game server. The server tracks the
movements of play pieces and can raise an alert if moves aren't valid.
Visual information can be overlayed on the play area, for example firing
arcs, and combat can be resolved quickly in response to orders entered
by
each player on their own terminal (say a laptop).
 This is an entirely possible project, however large it might be. What
does
the established playing community think of this idea? (or of any less
extreme version inbetween).

Finally, I've had no luck finding any locals who are into this, so if
anyone
on this list is in or knows of anyone in my area who plays any GZG games
I'd
like to get in touch.

Well, enough of my newbie enthusiasm, thanks all for your patience.

James

Prev: Re: [GZG]BigPhotocollectionof6mmBattlecars [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED] Next: RE: [GZG]Somanyquestions [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]