Prev: Re: [GZG] Naming NSL Next: Re: [GZG]FirstlookatnewNSLships!:-) [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Re: [GZG]FirstlookatnewNSLships!:-) [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

From: "James Moore" <jmooreou@g...>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 11:46:50 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG]FirstlookatnewNSLships!:-) [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

I gave the beams so many arcs is due to the fact that the
ship is not very manueverable, and will potentially be fighting highly
manueverable opponents (i.e.e Kra'Vak). At 12", it can put out 29 beam
dice
in any arc except for directly aft. I've also thought about dropping the
fighters for more beams and possibly an AFDC- I can see NSL fleets
having a
nasty "network" of PDS fire among ships of cruiser size and larger, with
their escorts destroying enemy "swarm" units at range.

I personally find beam weapons larger than class 4's to be examples of
the
law of diminishing returns (Grasers have the same problem, IMHO). A
class-5
beam that fires through two arcs is 20 mass- you could get two two-arc
class
4's for the same mass and have almost twice the firepower (albeit not
out to
60"). I see the Neu Swabians as being just as efficient as modern day
Germans and Austrians, they'd have figured this out too.

So there you have it, my rationale for building the ship the way I did.
Also
keep in mind that a Kra'Vak superdreadnought could conceivably destroy
this
ship in two salvos if it lucks out and does max damage with it's K6's
twice
in a row (Not hard to do when they only do 6 damage on a 6). I've never
fought a Yu'Kas, but that seems a bit excessive to me.

On 3/15/07, John Lerchey <lerchey@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> I have to agree with Brendan.  I would reduce the beam 4s and 3s to 3
arc,
> and put more on.  Each "side" can do the F, F[S/P], and R[S/P] side.
It'll

http://home.pacific.net.au/~southernsk/

> >> -----Original Message----- James Moore Sent: Thursday, March 15,
2007
> >> 2:53 PM Subject: Re: [GZG] First look at new NSL ships! :-)
> >>
> >> (Insert Class Name Here (Bismarck???)) Class Superdreadnought
> >>
> >> The ships follow standard NSL design doctrine in carrying no
screens,
> >> but they mount a significant amount of armor over an incredibly
strong
> >> hull. Additionally, these vessels are among the first NSL warships
> >> feature the Schwerpunkt internal compartmentalization system, which
> >> features enhanced bulkheads and fire suppression systems to protect
> >> vital systems and keep the ship in the fight longer.
> >>
> >> Here's a link to the SSD (I hope I got the points right):
> >>
> >> http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l70/jmooreou/NewNSLSDN.jpg
> >>
> >> -James
> > IMPORTANT 1. Before opening any attachments, please check for
viruses.
> 2.
> > This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential
> > information for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended
> > recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies of this
> email.
> > 3. Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender and
are
> not
> >  a statement of Australian Government Policy unless otherwise
stated. 4.
> > Electronic addresses published in this email are not conspicuous
> > publications and DVA does not consent to the receipt of commercial
> > electronic messages. 5. Please go to
> > http://www.dva.gov.au/feedback.htm#sub to unsubscribe emails of this
> type
> > from DVA. 6. Finally, please do not remove this notice.

> John K. Lerchey
> Assistant Director for Incident Response
> Information Security Office
> Carnegie Mellon University

" It is best not to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if he
lives near you."
						  - J.R.R. Tolkien

Prev: Re: [GZG] Naming NSL Next: Re: [GZG]FirstlookatnewNSLships!:-) [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]