Prev: Re: [GZG] FT vector movement systems Next: Re: [GZG] FT vector movement systems

Re: [GZG] FT vector movement systems

From: "Richard Bell" <rlbell.nsuid@g...>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 05:46:14 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] FT vector movement systems

> I'll disagree on it adding much to the game. I like SITS/AV:T vector
> movement better than FT as long as I'm only running a ship or
> two.	For fleets FT wins hands down.
>
> Roger

Once you discard the third dimension (which I would do for playing Full
Thrust), it gets even easier to use, and the one element it does add is
straightforward method to  implement turning points (each vessel in the
line
begins its turn at the same point in space, so they remain in a line
before,
during, and after the maneuvereuver).  Maneuvering a line-ahead
formation is
not a situation that FT's movement mechanic allows for, as written.
Changing the formation of a group from line-ahead to line-abreast, doing
the
reverse, or changing the direction of a line-abreast formation while
maintaining a line-abreast formation is equally difficult in either
system
of vector movement, in that anything you have not tinkered with to the
point
that you have a card that shows the before formation and vector, the
after
formation and vector, and all the orders for each element to go from one
the other, will cause your opponent to grumble about the length of time
it
requires for you to write your orders.	At least the ability of AV:T's
movement system to allow burns to happen at many points during the turn
will
make these canned maneuvers easier to plan.

FT only wins hands down for fleet engagements if your fleets are large
numbers of single ships, instead of a small number of formations [For
what
it is worth, I should mention that I have only ever managed to play FT
twice, once in vector and once with cinematic movement.  I just have
alot of
time to think about the sorts of things that might be interesting to
try--
is there anything worse than an armchair gamer?].  Formations speed
things
up because there is one set of orders for the whole formation.

Prev: Re: [GZG] FT vector movement systems Next: Re: [GZG] FT vector movement systems