Prev: RE: Re: [GZG] [Aliens] was Re: FMA at EEC etc Next: Re: Re: [GZG] [Aliens] was Re: FMA at EEC etc

Re: [GZG] [Aliens] was Re: FMA at EEC etc

From: "john tailby" <John_Tailby@x...>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 18:20:27 +1300
Subject: Re: [GZG] [Aliens] was Re: FMA at EEC etc

----- Original Message -----
From: <Beth.Fulton@csiro.au>
Thanks Beth

> I'm sure they didn't mean to be rude if that's how you perceived it
(it
> also pays to remember that for some English isn't their first
> language... Though for Oerjan I just put it down to being so close to
> Santa-land that he has to pay the toll for Santa being jolly so much
;P
> <He'll make me pay for that one in some suitably evil way>).

I didn't take it as rude as much as not interested. it sounded like a
classic case of "not invented here". When I tried to ask questions about
the
new fighter rules and how soem of the bits didn't make sense it came
down to
"we changed lots more than that but we didn't tell you" thats why you
don't
understand what we want you to test.

>> It would be good to get a cohesive copy of the current playtest
> version of
>> the FT rules so someone that is reviewing the changes can see all of
> the
>> changes and how they work toegther rather than just the new fighter
> rules.
>
> Unfortunately for all the reasons you've heard already today that's
> beyond their ability to provide.

Well without one things aren't going to go anywhere....

>> Full Thrust was the game we wrote our version of the rules for. Now
> people
>> are developing a DS equivalent game.
>
> I take it from your statements below that it uses multiple dice rather
> than sliding dice?

I'm not directly involved in the development but from watching some of
the
development games it uses a mixture of a group of dice to provide a
total
that often has to beat a fixed value. Sometimes some of the active
defensives get a "saving throw" to beat the attackers total and cancel
the
effect.

>> Counter draw and opposed dice rolls are slow play mechanisms compared
>> rolling a number of dice in series you want to keep the action
flowing
> not
>> have the players looking up charts and going for different sized
dice.

>> Much faster to say this unit is firing small arms at this unit and
> pick up x
>> dice roll to hit....
>
> Are these rolls opposed or versus a fixed value? I really do
understand
> that the chits aren't to everyone's taste, I personally like the
elegant
> way they solve the problem of lots of different results in an "easy"
> way. I will say however I am a fan of opposed dice roles and sliding
> dice types, it is something else that strikes me as a nice way of
> getting multiple solutions fairly simply and keeps everyone involved.

most of the fast play games are dice rles agaisnt a simple to calculate
fixed value.
Take flames of war ( a WW2 game ) the to hit score is based on the skill

level of the defender. Veterans get hit on a 4+, trained on a 6+ and
conscripts on a 2+. If the targets are in cover, at long range or hiding

they get harder to hit.
When a platoon fires the effects are averaged over the platoon so every
stand counts as a Rifle/MG platton rather than have several dice of
rifle
fire and several dice of MG fire its all one stat for the stand. That
platoon then targets an enemy platoon.

Nice and fast and esay to work out.

Prev: RE: Re: [GZG] [Aliens] was Re: FMA at EEC etc Next: Re: Re: [GZG] [Aliens] was Re: FMA at EEC etc