Prev: RE: [GZG] Re: [GZG Fiction] Basic Street Fighting Manual Next: RE: [GZG] Re: [GZG Fiction] Basic Street Fighting Manual

RE: [GZG] [GZG Fiction] Basic Street Fighting Manual

From: <Beth.Fulton@c...>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 13:12:05 +1100
Subject: RE: [GZG] [GZG Fiction] Basic Street Fighting Manual

G'day John,

> I imagined that the martian cities would develop a bit
> like the medieval walled cities in europe, except in 3d.
> I think you would throw up the biggest dome you could afford
> at the time and then as the city expanded you would build
> additional domes around the city.

That's what I thought too. Though ravines may be simpler as can do
bigger pockets at a time maybe as only covering a roof, the walls pretty
much taking care of themselves (depending on soil prosity I guess).

> I'd also imagine that life in
> the domes was a bit more like a campus or  industrial park
> environment. You build a dome and put living quarters and
> recreational facilities and the factories all in the same place.

The earlier domes definitely, though with time you might see more zoning
like what you see in modern cities (maybe).

> Does this mean that the KV have gotten significant industrial
> processing capability down on the planet.

I had said yes.

> The identification and elimination of these facilities
> should be a priority for human commanders.

We have plans for some ideas for FMA games where you have to penetrate
and destroy some key facilities.

> It also sounds like there is an upper limit on weaponry that you could
> use without doing complete environmental destruction. If ortillery
> is out then strategic bombing is likely out as well.

Yep. I want to do (but not sure if I can successfully pull off) some
articles where there is a discussion over the political tension of
walking up to the line (above which the big bombs do too much damage to
the environment) and tettering on the edge as they play off
environmental damage vs alien menace.

> On Pychology, can you pressurise them sufficiently that groups of them
> go berserk and charge out of their defences. Given they have only a
few
> of the calm ones on each capital ship they sound like they could be
> assigned at battalion level a bit like Soviet political officers,
> except they calm the troops down rather than inspire them..

That is something else to play with, but the evolutionary ecologist in
me wants to see it done carefully as just having preds that go nuts when
under pressure would have seen them die out a long long long time ago.

Cheers

Beth