Prev: [GZG] [SG] NSL 25mm heavy weapons? Next: Re: [GZG] [GZG Fiction] The Fall of Orduna Recounted

Re: [GZG] [GZG Fiction] Basic Street Fighting Manual

From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 18:16:57 +0300
Subject: Re: [GZG] [GZG Fiction] Basic Street Fighting Manual

On 1/23/07, Beth.Fulton@csiro.au <Beth.Fulton@csiro.au> wrote:

OK, I just couldn't resist this. . .

If you can find a junior grade officer who can handle six (??)
subunits, even with a good NCO, and even before you start attaching
folks to him, you are damn lucky.  There's a reason 3-5 is an
invariable rule for subunits at low level, where there is no time for
staff planning processes.

Besides, six squads?  Why not give up and say 'nothing lower than a
company'?  That's only 9 rifle squads plus support assets.

> 2. Zones of Unit Action
>
> Each shock group should be assigned a definite zone of action, smaller
> groups are typically not sufficient to hold ground against the
Kra'Vak,
> which apparently have a minimum effective unit size more equitable
with
> a half platoon by human force definitions. A zone should typically be
> made up of a group of buildings within a city block under attack. When
> the buildings on one side of a city block are held by friendly troops,
> then a storm group (or preferably two) should be assigned to clear the
> buildings on each of the adjacent sides of the block (to right and
> left).  Reserve groups should remain in the friendly ground to give
> support by firing across the block into the rear and side windows and
> entrances of the adjacent enemy-held buildings. This necessity is
> exceptionally important. The equipment schedule in such actions should
> include GMS/P, high powered sniper rifles, SMG's, IVARs, PPIGs and
> assault cannons.

WTF is a shock group going to do with sniper rifles and GMS/P??  SMGs,
PPIGs, and IVARs make sense.  The absolute worst possible weapons for
street fighting are sniper rifles, followed closely by long-range
antiarmor weapons.

Snipers support assaults, they don't participate in them.

There's an excellent scene in Blackhawk Down which shows what happens
when snipers get involved in close-range fighting with masses of
folks.

> distance to discern the troops and bring down very deadly fire. When
> making an attack across a street it is also important to ensure that
the
> doors of buildings across the street are open. Kra'Vak locks are a
> complete mystery so the best bet is just to blast open the doors and
> windows before you even begin the crossing.

Which requires heavy weapons and gives away tactical surprise.	12
gauge slugs will take locks off doors no matter what species builds
them.

> When moving about in open ground or over rubble, keep low. The crouch
is
> good for speed, but crawling on all fours or even flat on your belly
(if
> necessary) is good not only for increased cover benefits but also for
> stability in the lose and often unsound rubble piles. Be warned
however
> it can be a tough choice to pick between a fast moving crouch that
risks
> a twisted ankle (and subsequent exposure to Kra'Vak fire) and a slower
> steadier crawl that risks identification and a ricochet shot.

Open ground, at point blank?  Lots of supressive fire and a dead
sprint.  Lowcrawl across open ground and you are dead.

> 6. Entering and Clearing Buildings
>
> Always enter buildings via the lower floors. While current doctrine
> (developed through years of space station boarding and closed
settlement
> assaults) advocates entry at all levels, even suggesting the higher
the
> better, this is a fatal move against the Kra'Vak. They show little

Crap.  Top-down.  Gravity works for you.  Stairways are lethally
dangerous going up.

> regard for infrastructure and at the earliest suggestion of movement
> above them will fire heavy weapons or explosive charges up through the
> floors, or simply demolish the building out from under the human
> attackers. Learn from their methods and use them against them. In
> addition, if Kra'Vak troops are located above a human group toss
> grenades on to the level above the Kra'Vak (effectively leap frogging
> them) so that it will bring the solid alien building materials down on
> their heads. This is best done remotely or as part of an organised
> withdrawal as it does run the risk of bringing the entire structure
down
> on your own heads.

How do you get grenades through two floors?  I'm confused.  If the KV
are going to blow the building, they have demolitions placed.  In that
case, slam a couple HE rounds into the building and beat them to the
punch.

> Charge setting can be hard to determine, but it is a strong
> recommendation to set overly large charges in preference to under
> strength ones. Bringing down a building in this conflict is not a
> problem as the houses reduced to such fine rubble do not form a
> significant obstacle for our GEV and grav vehicles, in fact they open
up
> alternative pathways through the city, without being constrained to
the
> main thoroughfares. Foot troops will find it an inconvenience, but not
> as much as being confronted by a Kra'Vak warrior that has secreted it
> self in an incorrectly or incompletely demolished building.

I'm baffled by this.  Obviously the writer has never seen ruined
building.  Fine rubble?

> Shoot as often as possible without endangering the other members of
your
> group. The extensive use of grenades and plasma is encouraged. It is
> advised that no soldier should enter previously held enemy territory
> without first throwing a grenade or subjecting the room to plasma
> scouring. Advances further than a grenade or charge can be thrown with
> any degree of accuracy are strongly discouraged. As mentioned above
> gratuitous rubble is not a problem in city-based engagements with the
> Kra'Vak, in fact it can work to humanity's advantage.

I'm baffled as to how it works to the human advantage.	Allegedly the
KraVak have all sorts of experience and 'know all the tricks'. . .
They have Grav Tanks and no compunction about knocking down buildings,
further they are the defenders from the tone of this piece, yet they
don't know how to take advantage of rubble?

> 11. Vehicles (Tanks) in City Fighting
>
> When approaching a Kra'Vak owned city run DNA saturated bots through
the
> local area. This gruesome and almost unholy act is the only way of
> clearing the immense species discriminating minefields the Kra'Vak lay

Honestly, I'd think if they react to DNA, then the easiest way to do
it would be to spray a solution from small flying drones.  And easier
on the drones.

> separated from their infantry support by city edge defences. As in
> entirely human conflicts, units that bypass enemy defences and move
too
> far out ahead of the body of the assault will become subject to
intense
> (and quite effective) fire. Moreover they can not return fire with the
> bypassed enemy without running the risk of endangering friendly
troops.

Yeah, just ask Georgie Patton how well 'haul ass and bypass' works.

John
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: [GZG] [SG] NSL 25mm heavy weapons? Next: Re: [GZG] [GZG Fiction] The Fall of Orduna Recounted