Prev: [GZG] List question Next: [GZG] [GZG Fiction] Only The Dead Are Sure of Rest

Re: [GZG] [FT] Scale in the Tuffleyverse

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@v...>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 21:56:54 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] [FT] Scale in the Tuffleyverse

>I know from a footnote on page 44 of FB1 that the longest controlled
jump
>was 7.328 lightyears - slightly over 2 parsecs - so I surmised that
>military ships can jump about 2 parsecs.

Special FTL scouts can jump 2+ parsecs...or can vanish in the attempt.
Normal warships probably can't jump that far, certainly not without
risk.
You might also have an effect where smaller ships can jump farther than
larger ships--say, a DD can jump 1.5 parsec while a Jeanne d'Arc can
only
manage 0.5 parsec at a time.

>People ask how far a MU is because they have plans for a scenario
involving
>a battle near a planet, and they want to know how big to make the
planet.
>A consensus here on the List is that a MU is about 1000km.

Or 100km, depending on what time scale you think is reasonable. In that
case, you could use one edge of the table as the planet's surface.

>The problem with THAT is that the Tuffleyverse has pirate organizations
-
>BIG ones - like ORC & Actuarial Nightmare, who would find it next to
>impossible to operate if they could only strike at ships that close to
>planets with patrols nearby.

The ORC isn't a pirate organization, it's more of a coalition of
colonies
which realized their parent nations and the UN weren't going to defend
them.
The colonies certainly indulged in a bit of unauthorized requisitioning
of
the parent nations' ships and other assets, but it wasn't really piracy.

Prev: [GZG] List question Next: [GZG] [GZG Fiction] Only The Dead Are Sure of Rest