Prev: Re: [GZG] AI fighters Next: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers

Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 23:49:39 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers

At 9:04 PM -0500 12/23/06, Jerry Han wrote:

>Yup.  Britain created the concept of the Battlecruiser (it was part of
Admiral
>Fisher's reform program for the Royal Navy at the turn of the century.)
>Germany responded by building its own Battlecruisers, in the naval arms
>race that lead up to World War I.

One could argue that BC's would have been ideal
in hunting down the heavier German Commerce
Raiders, the Pocket Battleships as they were.

>Most naval historians (at least,  all the once I've encountered) look
>rather askance at the Alaska class cruisers built by the United States
>at the end of World War II; to this day, from all the sources I've
read,
>nobody is still quite sure what they were intended to do, especially
>when in the same Navy you had ships that were just as fast, mounted
>larger guns, and had twice the belt armour thickness.	(The Iowas.)

Well, the Alaskas would have been quote useful in
the situations where the Japanese sent a bigger
ship in to fight against US DDs and CLs.
Something with some more punch could have turned
the tide in several battles.
Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
	    I speak not for CNN, nor they for me.
       But I do work there and still like the company.
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/2)

Prev: Re: [GZG] AI fighters Next: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers