Prev: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers Next: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers

Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers

From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 22:35:02 +0300
Subject: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers

On 12/23/06, VinsFullThrust@aol.com <VinsFullThrust@aol.com> wrote:

> In a message dated 12/23/2006 11:41:17 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> rlbell.nsuid@gmail.com writes:
> It got me thinking about how battlecruisers are handled in games.
> They are usually ships between a heavy cruiser and a battleship.  Only
> one navy (the USN) ever built ships like that, and they were called
> "Large Cruisers" (the Alaska class).	All ships that were actually
> called battlecruisers were as large as, if not larger, than
> battleships.	The HMS Hood, a battlecruiser, was the largest warship
> in the world, until the Bismark was completed.  Battlecruisers were
> basically dreadnoughts that exchanged weight of armor for weight of
> machinery to get an extra turn of speed.  The only game that ever got
> this right was Starfire, as a BC was faster than a BB and if it
> accepted less protection, it could mount the same armament.
>
> OK, maybe I am lost here.  Hood was smaller the bismark, yet Hood was
> "cruiser" and Bismark was "battleship."  If this is accurate and Hood
and

In the Real World, warship designations have historically indicated
role more than they have designated tonnage limits.

I bet you go into convulsions trying to figure out how the statement
that "In the Napoleonic era, most cruisers were frigates" makes any
sort of sense.

Try cracking a book that doesn't deal with spaceships before discussing
history.

> Bismark were the worlds largest "warships" What exactly does that make
> Yamato and Musashi that were nearly 2 times larger then Bismark?

When the Hood and Bismark were launched, they were wet-dreams in the
fevered imagination of Japanese admirals.  Thanks for playing,
smart-ass.

If you're going to sharpshoot, please try to do so intelligently.

John
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers Next: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers