Prev: Re: [GZG] On Leave In Hell Next: Re: [GZG] On Leave In Hell

[GZG] Re: [FT] Tech tree for FT campaign play

From: mintroll-ft-list <mintroll-gzg-ft@2...>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 12:10:18 +0000
Subject: [GZG] Re: [FT] Tech tree for FT campaign play

Brenan wrote:

>>I thought about not stacking developments and simply having the
>>difference in cost.  The problem there was that it becomes very cheap
>>simply hit the "best" weapons in each class without a lot of
investment.
>>This is exacerbated between human and alien tech, as Kra'vak and
Phalons
>>really only have 2 weapon trees each (3 with fighters) and humans have
4
>>(inc screens) (5 with fighters).
>>	With alien tech *needing* larger weapons to increase
effectiveness,
>>it should balance out the long-term investment needed.
>>
>>	Tech development is very basic; just spend the MCr on tech
instead
>>of ships.

As a simple Tech Tree System I think it is a good idea, the problems
arise with how the campaign is structured.

For example, in our one, thrust is a key factor in set up for battles,
as well as attempting to escape. Under a non-stacked system like would
people would pay out for large thrusts over weapons.
Thus the 'normal' initial ships, small quick scouts with a gun, would be
bi-passed as they are inefficient Tech wise (by thrust).

The idea we had was to set up an interlocking tech tree, with a
difference based cost for each higher tech. The key was to include a
base cost for beginning certain techs and extra cost at higher levels.
This is how most computer games run their tech trees. We abandoned this
idea fairly quickly as we could come to no agrement about these extra
costs - it would take a lot of effort to balance. Especially as you
point out that the Alien tech trees are smaller.

The final problem is what various groups include - I've listed
everything for our campaign in the Systems Compendium. But other groups
may alter this mix, or even disagree with the PSB behind an interlocking
tree. I'll try dig out the rough tree we drew up, make a digital version
and upload it for comparison.

Simon
--
Experience is the fool's best teacher; the wise do not need it.

http://fullthrust.2-72.co.uk

Prev: Re: [GZG] On Leave In Hell Next: Re: [GZG] On Leave In Hell