Prev: RE: [GZG] OODA for FT Next: Re: Re: [GZG] OODA for FT

RE: [GZG] OODA

From: <Beth.Fulton@c...>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 09:40:33 +1100
Subject: RE: [GZG] OODA

G'day,

> My impressions of Picquet, fair or unfair, are entirely based on one
> demo game where I had a pack of peasants that basically stood there
> while my enemy ran them down. Wouldn't even fire their bows, because
> in Picquet, it apparently takes hours to reload bows if the right card
> doesn't come up, and there are cards which force you to shoot your
> bows even if there are no enemies anywhere in sight except those
> knights on the other side of the river at approximately twice
> effective bow range.

I think you ran into a poorly thought out demo game myself. There should
have been a bunch of opp chips for you to use to fire, the undisciplined
fire shouldn't have been across the board (and should have been down
played anyway in a demo game) and they shouldn't have used "classical
duelist initiative" they should have used one of the many variants that
moderates impetus runs. PK is like cooking with a cupboard full of
spices, you have to make careful thought about which ones to put. Just a
few of the right ones are great, the wrong ones or too many sucks badly.

PK is in the end only one option, there are an increasing number of
games with more flexibility than classical UGO-IGO systems.

And as others have pointed out this kind of modification wouldn't appeal
to all. For instance even though I play and enjoy Attack Vector and
Derek's home grown space combat rules in my heart of hearts there is
something about the simplicity yet effectiveness of FT that keeps
drawing me back ;)

Cheers

Beth

Prev: RE: [GZG] OODA for FT Next: Re: Re: [GZG] OODA for FT