Prev: Re: [GZG] OODA Next: Re: Re: Re: [GZG] OODA

Re: [GZG] OODA

From: Ken Hall <khall39@y...>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 06:53:23 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [GZG] OODA

what's described in the second paragraph can be handled by the idea
originally sketched at the top of the thread.

  Blue's OODA cycle lets it issue new orders every three
phases/impulses/cycles. Red's more deliberate cycle lets it issue new
orders every four bits of time.

  Units act according to plotted orders (move simultaneously).

  Combat takes place at whatever point in the phase is catered for by
the rules. Individual units (ships, vehicles, stands, what have you) can
react appropriately (or according to training and doctrine, if one
likes)

  Example: Both sides issue orders on One. On Three, screen units come
into contact and begin to engage under local control. On Four, Blue
issues new orders, if desired, based on information actually available
to HQ. On Five, Red may do likewise.

  That's how I saw it going under the original proposal, in any case.

  Best regards,
  Ken

Laserlight <laserlight@verizon.net> wrote:
  > Remember that the whole "OODA cycle" was initially invented to
> understand dogfights between individual aircraft or pairs of aircraft.
> It is somewhat less relevant to larger scale fights because things
> happen on a totally different timescale and split-second hesitation is
> much less fatal for an admiral of a fleet than a pilot of a jet
> aircraft.

"Initially invented", yes, but it can be applied to other situations. If
it
takes two minutes for Blue admiral to get sensor reports, decide what's
going on, give orders, and his ships execute them, then of course it's
not
important if Red takes two minutes plus a tenth of a second. But it
would be
important if Red takes three minutes. Same deal if Blue battalion takes
three hours and Red takes four.

Prev: Re: [GZG] OODA Next: Re: Re: Re: [GZG] OODA