Prev: Re: [GZG] Point Systems Next: RE: [GZG] [FT] SSD bits

Base Sizes (was Re: Re: [GZG] New game mechanics (was: Re: Name for Rules))

From: David Billinghurst <davebill@c...>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 14:37:29 +1300
Subject: Base Sizes (was Re: Re: [GZG] New game mechanics (was: Re: Name for Rules))

Hi Allan,

Flames of War basing is 32mm x 25mm (1 1/4"x 1") for 1 - 3 miniatures
and
50mm x 32mm (2" x 1 1/4") for infantry teams of 4 - 5 minatures, and
man-packed gun teams.

I have some 15mm GZG fire teams based up on FoW sized bases and as an
experiment I've taken photos of them and some unpainted minis on 30mm x
30mm
and 25mm x 25mm paper bases as a comparison.  If you'd like a look at
the
photos (assuming they come out ;) ), let me know and I'll e-mail them to

you.

I'd avoid 25mm x 25mm bases as the figures only just fit on (and then
you
may have to trim the metal bases) and look crowded.  Things aren't much
better on 30mm x 30mm - there isn't much room to even pretend that
they're
modern infantry advancing in open order.  The FoW bases are an odd size
(you
could probably get away with going to a 40mm x 30mm base) but, as others

have suggested, unless the base size is crucial to ground scale, then
measuring distances from the centre of the base, or from some
recognizable
feature of the base, may be the way to go and to heck with the actual
base
size.

David

> Subject: Re: [GZG] New game mechanics (was: Re: Name for Rules)
> To: gzg-l@lists.csua.berkeley.edu
>
> On 11/3/06, Mark Kinsey <Kinseym@ptd.net> wrote:
>>
>> First basing. I'm cool with any base size between 1" by 1" and the
FOW