Prev: [GZG] Sunny skies reply Next: Re: [GZG] Point Systems

[GZG] Point Systems

From: "Glenn M. Goffin" <gmgoffin@y...>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 14:14:07 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [GZG] Point Systems

My preference is not to have a point system -- moreover, if a point
system exists, I generally ignore it.  Of course, having 30 years of
experience in wargaming (along with a degree in history and a long
interest in military affairs past, present, and projected) probably
makes me a "seasoned" gamer who doesn't care about the illusion of
even fights.

In fact, all of that seasoning reminds me that nobody should ever
want to be in a fair fight; if you have to be in a fight, you should
want overwhelming superiority so that you can just pound the crap out
of your opponent with minimal losses.  If you find that you're
actually in a fair fight, it means that both you and the enemy have
screwed up at the strategic level.

Well, I'm probably outside the main target demographic anyway, so
take that perspective for what it's worth.  Still, I held that
perspective, and, more important, appreciated and enjoyed it, even
back when I was pimply-faced punk putting together scenarios for
Sniper!, Firefight!, and Dungeons & Dragons.

--Glenn

Prev: [GZG] Sunny skies reply Next: Re: [GZG] Point Systems