Prev: Re: Blue Sky Thinking (was: Re: [GZG] re: Wanted) Next: Re: Re: Blue Sky Thinking (was: Re: [GZG] re: Wanted)

Re: Blue Sky Thinking (was: Re: [GZG] re: Wanted)

From: mxconnell@o...
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 22:03:31 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: Blue Sky Thinking (was: Re: [GZG] re: Wanted)

this has been addressed on the list before (I don't follow it
religiously), but in light of the Blue Sky Thinking thread, I have been
thinking about the GZG game development process, especially since Jon
brought up that it's about selling miniatures.
Some basic facts as I see them:
1. There is a lot of cool stuff in various forms of completion in the
pipeline: FMAS, DS3, FT3, BDS
2. Jon makes his money selling miniatures, not rules
3. Jon retains control of his games by doing the writing
4. Jon has zero time to write because he likes to make a living
I see these as incompatible. New GZG rule production is too slow to
appear serious and viable to many customers (at least among the folks I
try to draw into them). Right now, I honestly do not believe I will see
FMAS released before the end of the decade. 2008 if I was incredibly
optimistic. 12 years plus of development? And with SG3 we're talking
about a company level game to promote more 15mm sales NOW. If it's
developed twice as fast as an optimistic FMAS, it will not be released
until 2012.
We're all closer to Jon and GZG than the average gamer thanks to this
list. We're tolerant and when the question comes up "when will XXXX be
released" we all know to shout "WHEN IT'S DONE!". IMHO, that works when
your business is a hobby, but it's not going to help GZG grow to the
next business level. That's not going to get GZG big enough to help
sustain Jon through the next economic downturn. To do that, something
has got to give.
A proposal:
A. It's time to get a ghost writer(s). Jon should retain editing for
quality and style, but someone else needs to do the heavy lifting. I
realize their are financial constraints. Perhaps a volunteer network
could cover a significant percentage. I'll donate 5 hours a week of
typing and buy a compatible word processor to whatever Jon uses if that
will help.
B. Focus on one, maybe 2 games/supplements at a time so that something
gets finished
C. Develop a well defined revision schedule
D. Electronically publish for PAY. I apreciate the altruism of free
downloads at GZG, but my impression is electronic publishing is working.
I have bought many of Two Hour Games and Rattrap Production rules as
.pdfs. I don't see it as any bigger threat to piracy than photocopying.
These actions get new games into folks hands faster. It helps GZG look
more vital and dynamic. It helps attract new blood. It helps sell
miniatures.
So in closing:
- Sorry to let the real world intrude
- Sorry to let my job (project management) intrude
- Sorry to let my frustration on the list
- I really DO want to help.
Regards,
Martin Connell

Prev: Re: Blue Sky Thinking (was: Re: [GZG] re: Wanted) Next: Re: Re: Blue Sky Thinking (was: Re: [GZG] re: Wanted)