Prev: Re: Re [GZG] Re: Full Thrust Playtest? Next: Re: [GZG] Full Thrust Playtest

[GZG] Full Thrust Playtest

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@v...>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 22:39:54 -0400
Subject: [GZG] Full Thrust Playtest

As requested:

First off, if you have any AARs that went out to the list and didn't get
an
adequate response, send a copy (or archive links) to me offlist
(laserlight
at verizon dot net)
and I'll  respond. Not that I'm the Official Voice of the Playtest List,
but
I usually
 have a decent idea of why a rule is the way it is (for FT or SG--I've
played
 DS III a couple of times but I haven't been following it intensely)

With that said, there are five possible results from a playtest:
 a. everyone's happy with the new system: okay, we'll probably keep it
 b. there's an obvious flaw in the new rule: highly unlikely, because if
it
 was obvious enough to pick up in one game, we'd almost certainly have
caught
 it before putting it on the Main List.
 c. the player is unhappy with a system the Playtest List has come to a
 consensus on. This normally means that the player has only tried the
system
 once or twice, and usually only from one side--eg, you've fought as the

ORCs
 but not against them, so you feel EMP beams are too weak. In this case,
we
 usually need to add a mini-design note, such as you'll find on the
grasers
 and EMP beams. This sort of thing doesn't look like you made much
 difference, but it is VITAL in explaining the new systems.
 d. nobody understood what we intended: okay, we need to rewrite the
rule.
 The posts from the last few days had an example of that with the
Unified
 Fighter Proposal in Oerjan's original form and my edited form.
Generally
 someone will provide as "this is what we meant" pretty quickly.
 e. everyone's more or less happy: this means that there might be
something
 subtle that needs to be fixed. Or there might not be, it might just
mean
 that someone had bad dice, bad tactics, or an unbalanced fleet
selection.
We
 probably can't tell just from one AAR, and that means you're not likely
 get much in the way of immediate feedback. But we need to hear it, so
we
can
 *eventually* decide that yes, the Sa'Vasku do need some kind of burnout

when
 they pump too much power through their stingers.

 Ideally we'd like for players to tell us starting forces, starting
position,
 table size, speed, maneuvers, and yes, every single die roll. I've had
 playtests where New System X looked like it was an UberWeapon, but in
fact
 I'd just rolled a 4.93 average over 60 rolls, and my opponent was at a
2.9
 (yes, using the same dice).  If you don't feel like posting that to the

Main
 List due to its length, then post it to me and I'll respond and pass it
on
to the Test List.

Prev: Re: Re [GZG] Re: Full Thrust Playtest? Next: Re: [GZG] Full Thrust Playtest