Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG] Rapid Fire antipersonnel plasma gun? Next: Re: [GZG] [SG] Rapid Fire antipersonnel plasma gun?

Re: [GZG] [SG] Rapid Fire antipersonnel plasma gun?

From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 07:42:15 +0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] [SG] Rapid Fire antipersonnel plasma gun?

On 9/28/06, Stephen Bond <daibaka2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Allan said:
> >"Flamers" are a part of the sci-fi genre (largely thanks to GW), so I
> >guess that's where the terror aspect comes in.
>
> I'd suggest that the career of "Flamers" in sci-fi probably goes back
at
> least as far as a certain Ridley Scott movie about a starship named
> "Nostromo" and its sequel. As far as GW is concerned, I suspect that
they
> inherited it (along with bolters, Red Redemptionists, et al) from
Brian
> Ansell's Laserburn rules. Not too sure when they were originally
published,
> but I'd figure they were early 80's at least.

Actually, the earliest reference I can find to a 'flamer' in my memory
comes from a book published in the 1950s.

Starship Troopers.  You might have heard of it.

John
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG] Rapid Fire antipersonnel plasma gun? Next: Re: [GZG] [SG] Rapid Fire antipersonnel plasma gun?