Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG] Rapid Fire antipersonnel plasma gun? Next: Re: Re: [GZG] [SG] Rapid Fire antipersonnel plasma gun?

Re: [GZG] [SG] Rapid Fire antipersonnel plasma gun?

From: Samuel Penn <sam@g...>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 15:54:55 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] [SG] Rapid Fire antipersonnel plasma gun?

On Wednesday 27 September 2006 15:19, John Atkinson wrote:
> On 9/27/06, Samuel Penn <sam@glendale.org.uk> wrote:
> > > If I remember correctly, I used D8 Firepower, D10 Impact (more
shots
> > > than the Plasma Gun's D6, less impact than the Plasma Gun), but
causes
> > > terror effects.
> >
> > Does a flame thrower cause terror? How about a DFFG fired from a
> > vehicle? We've only played once so far (just infantry, no vehicles
> > or even power armour), so my knowledge of the rules is very light.
> > I'm currently trying to juggle painting figures with reading the
> > rules again.
>
> Maybe it's just me, but that whole "terror" thing just doesn't do it
for
> me.

That's what I was thinking, hence the check to see if similar weapons
were already ruled as causing a similar effect.

p.43 under 'Terror Effects' is where the rule is btw. Speaking as
someone who's never had someone shoot at them or try to set them
on fire, Fire does seem slightly scarier because a crispy fried
corpse looks worse than a corpse that is simply blood stained.

However, futuristic full armour probably gives pretty good protection
versus short bursts of flame, thereby preventing the sort of horrific
burns you'd otherwise get.

> I don't see anything inherently more terrifying about a plasma gun as
> compared to a gauss rifle.  You're just as dead, and the gauss rifle
> is a lot harder to pinpoint as compares to a huge, hot (shows up
> nicely on thermals) weapon that spits fireballs at a slow rate of
> fire.

Presumably big guns should have a similar effect - I'm remembering
the scene in 'Saving Private Ryan', where a big vehicle mounted gun
(20mm cannon?) was used to cut down infantry, blowing them to pieces
everytime someone was hit. Sitting comfortably in my armchair, that
looked scary.

> IMNSHO terror is a thing for draftees or green troops.

Maybe the terror effect should be +1/+2 instead of doubling the
threat level. Experienced troops can ignore it, greens are more
likely to loose their cool.

--
Be seeing you,			       http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.			    Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@glendale.org.uk

Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG] Rapid Fire antipersonnel plasma gun? Next: Re: Re: [GZG] [SG] Rapid Fire antipersonnel plasma gun?