Prev: Re: [GZG] Painting tips? Next: Re: [GZG] Painting tips?

Re: [GZG] Painting tips?

From: Ken Hall <khall39@y...>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 13:28:57 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Painting tips?

since I've done much airbrush work (used to do 1/72 airplanes), but the
fuzziness of the edge with the template method varies directly with the
distance between the templace and the work. If you put the template
right up to the model, fuzziness should be minimized--and if you're
careful with the angle of the airbrush, you might be able to eliminate
it by shooting from "outside" the edge of the template you're using as a
mask (brush tip outside the "hole," shooting across the edge and back
into the hole). I wish I could sketch it for you.

  Best of luck,
  Ken

John K Lerchey <lerchey@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
  Very cool tip.

For my next trick, I went out at lunchtime and bought a sheet of Badger
Frisket paper. Basically a light acetate film, lightly tacky on side. I
pulled a sheet out of an open pack and it's a) pretty darned thin and b)

designed for masking for airbrush projects. Now, that said, the tape I
tried to use was desgined for use by modelers too, so I'm not all that
hopeful. Tonight I'll try making some patterns and see if they work any
better than the tape ones. If not, I'll move on to either silly putty or

make a template and live with the fuzziness. Or get out my paint
brushes.
Or something. :)

John K. Lerchey
Assistant Director for Incident Response
Information Security Office
Carnegie Mellon University

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006, Allan Goodall wrote:

> On 7/27/06, gzg-l-request@lists.csua.berkeley.edu
> wrote:
>
>> Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 10:49:08 -0400 (EDT)
>> From: John K Lerchey
>
>> Paining on liquid mask - If I wanted to paint on liquid mask, I'd
just
>> paint on the paint. :)
>
> This isn't really a reply to John's post. I just wanted to point out a
> use for a liquid mask. I've heard a lot of people say that liquid mask
> is pretty useless as you still have to paint it on. However, it allows
> you to paint over an area you've already painted so that you could
> then airbrush over the whole area.
>
> Just thought I'd point that out.
>
>> Pieces of tape. That's essentially what I was using. I was actually
>> using a thin masking tape made for doing this kind of work on models.
It