Prev: Re: [GZG] Painting tips? Next: [GZG] [FT] AAR topic on test forum

Re: [GZG] Painting tips?

From: "John Osborne" <osborne6@g...>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 08:26:48 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Painting tips?

would be to paint one of the colors all over, then cover
with a water soluble glue like elmer's white glue where you don't want
the
second color, then paint with your second color.  I have seen another
product a few years back which was just a putty/clay like substance you
could use to cover areas.

On 7/26/06, John K Lerchey <lerchey@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> As I mentioned earlier, I'm working on my
> first-honest-to-God-painted fleet. :)  Brigade AmRep ships.  I pulled
out
> the airbrush the other night and base-coated 32 ships. :)
>
> I've decided that i want to a splinter camo pattern on them.
Bascially,
> large blocks of color - only two for this fleet.  The blocks will need
> have clean, straight edges.  Cleaner than I want to try for with a
brush.

> So, I got me an idea.  I bought some Pactra 1/2 inch modelers masking
> tape, and cut out irregular blocks to stick all over the ships.  Once
on,
> I figured I'd get out the second color, air brush them, and then all
I'd
> ahve to do is highlight and wash, then pick out any details, decal,
and
> I'm ready to go.
>
> The masking tape won't stick.  It's low tac so that you can use it on
> models and a) get it off and b) not lift off paint.  But it won't
stick.
> The models have too many small details (all of those squarish bumps),
and
> the tape won't cleanly stick over them, nor around corners (and I did
use
> a plastic burnishing tool to burnish it down!).
>
> So that's not going to work.
>
> Anyone have any ideas, or am I pretty much gonna have to pull out my
> brushes?
>
> Thanks,

> John K. Lerchey
> Assistant Director for Incident Response
> Information Security Office
> Carnegie Mellon University

John Osborne
osborne6@ieee.org/osborne6@gmail.com/jro@freeshell.org

Prev: Re: [GZG] Painting tips? Next: [GZG] [FT] AAR topic on test forum