Prev: Re: Re: Limits on armour? and Full Steam Next: Re: Critical hits (was Limits on armour?)

Re: Critical hits (was Limits on armour?)

From: "Allan Goodall" <agoodall@h...>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 10:50:11 -0500
Subject: Re: Critical hits (was Limits on armour?)

On 7/7/06, Noam Izenberg <noam.izenberg@jhuapl.edu> wrote:

> Well, Commander, the if ship I'm targeting at 12 mu (roughly 12,000
> km if we go with the common 1mu = 1000 km unit) were a 200 meter
> diameter sphere, it takes up 3.44 arcseconds of my sky. Considering
> it's usually more like an edge-on blade shape maneuvering at several
> G with a distorting grav gradient behind it, be glad we can hit the
> thing at all.

And now we're suggesting that those same beams can hit individual
robotic fighters pulling 25 g at the same range?

I understand the PSB. It's just something that bugs me, and it bugs me
with some models more than other models. It doesn't bug me as much
with the flat NAC and FSE ships. I can see how a slight rise in the Z
axis can expose the far side of an FSE ship. It bugs me more with the
squared off NSL ships. You'd have to fire at one of those from a very
oblique angle to hit something on the far side.

It doesn't bug me as much as the "passing through arcs" problem. It
bugs me slightly less than the "non-vector fighters and missiles"
problem.

I understand that it's a fix that's too complicated to be worth fixing.

Allan
--
Allan Goodall		 http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@hyperbear.com

Prev: Re: Re: Limits on armour? and Full Steam Next: Re: Critical hits (was Limits on armour?)